Beata Ludovica Albertoni/ by Bernini/ marble/ 1671-74 AD/ Church of San Francesco
Beata Ludovica Albertoni, a funerary monument, is the work of Italian Baroque artist Gian Lorenzo Bernini. This statue is located in the Church of San Francesco in Rome. Bernini began to build this statue in 1671, but due to work on two other important works, the completion of this statue was delayed until 1674, and it was installed in the church in August of the same year.
Ludovica Albertoni was a abstemious and pious Italian nobleman who worked for the poor of Trastevere and was buried there under the guidance of the Franciscan monks of the Church of San Francesco after his death in 1533.
This memorial statue is made of white marble and is located above the altar of the church, on the left side. Bernini first designed an architectural space to be created on Ludovica's body. He then installed the statue in an arch under a painting by Giovanni Battista Gaulli.
Ludovica Albertoni's body is seen on a mat at the moment of mystical connection with God. The folds of her clerical robes reflect her troubled state, and her head is bowed on an embroidered pillow. Beneath her body is a deeply crumpled stone cloth placed over Ludovica's coffin. The posture of the body is as if it will get up at any moment to join the Holy Spirit.